Tuesday, February 12, 2013

How To: Study For A Test


I'll just put it out there now - I very strongly dislike tests and/or exams (such a surprise, right?!), but I love preparing and studying for them! Just something about the whole organization process makes it so fun and interesting for me!

This was also a request, so I decided, why not write a post about this? Just as my last post - this isn't a very thorough post that explains every single detail of each topic - just a quick step-by-step/overview. I will try to make a more in-depth post about each of these (or at least a couple) topics, so be on a lookout for that!

Now onto the actual post.

Know exactly what to study. This is pretty self-explanatory - if you don't know what to study, well, you'll most likely fail the test (or whatever you're studying for). Ask your teacher about the material if you have any questions or if you missed some notes/material (teachers love it when you ask them questions) - they should be able to help you out. I usually just make a bullet point list of what notes to use to study.

Do not procrastinate - start studying right as you get the material. I know this is hard, and I'll be honest - I am a huge procrastinator! I think I'm getting better at it, though! The whole trick is to go slow and study a tiny bit each day - not to cram it all in the night before the test. I usually do end up cramming the night before, but it never hurts to try! I know some people who actually do better on their tests when they cram the night before than if they study consistently for weeks - so just do whatever works best for you!

Organize notes. I will definitely do a huge, long post on this - it's just too long to explain in this post! Basically, all you need to do is organize your notes in whichever way works best for you - for me, typing it up on my laptop and printing them out is more comfortable - but more on that tomorrow (or sooner or later). The main point is to organize your notes in a way that is comfortable for you to read and review.

Make study guide. This will also be another blog post, because it's another thing that needs to be explained more thoroughly. Basically, there are a couple of ways to make a study guide - one of them is making a Microsoft Word document and separating it into two columns, then writing the topic of each subtopic (sorry this is confusing - it's late and I'm tired) in the left column and then writing about that subtopic in the right column. To study by using this method - you just cover the right column up (after you print the document) and revise the material by looking at the topic on the left column. I use this method, but I also usually make a study guide with questions for myself - but more on this later, since this paragraph is getting way too long and is probably confusing most of you.

Read notes for 5-10 minutes every night before bed for about a week before the test/exam. This one is easy and pretty self-explanatory - just go over the study guide/notes that you made prior and read them for a couple of minutes. Not too long, though - you don't want to overload your brain with information - just a little at a time.

I am so incredibly sorry if this post was confusing or hard to understand (let me know if it is!) - I've had no time to blog lately, but no worries! I am slowly sorting everything out, so I'll be back to normal, non-sleepy post soon!

xoxo,
Liz

No comments:

Post a Comment